Keith Williams UKSE, centre's Jayne senior, CEO & Bev Reid Boat Provisions Manager

Member Article

Mexborough Charity To Host Open Day Following Funding Boost

UK Steel Enterprise Partners With Community Union To Fund Swinton Lock Awareness/Fundraising Event

A Mexborough youth-engagement charity is set to open its doors to the local community in a bid to raise awareness of the work that it carries out thanks to a £1000 funding boost from South Yorkshire based UK Steel Enterprise and the Community Union.

The Swinton Lock Activity Centre open day will take place on May 31st, promoting the alternative education programmes and courses the centre runs to help children from across the region who have been excluded from school due to a disability or anti-social behaviour back in to mainstream education.

The open day gives the local community the opportunity to access and share a whole host of information about events and courses as well as offering hourly boat trips, refreshments, a visit from the local bird sanctuary and the community PC Tim Jervis.

The initiative originally received funding from Community Union which was then match funded by UK Steel Enterprise, celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, which works to help the economic development of areas of the UK most affected by changes in the steel industry. Support from UK Steel Enterprise includes investing up to £1m directly into growing businesses which create jobs.

Swinton Lock currently provides the courses to 84 children, including those who would normally have limited access to activities elsewhere because of socially and economically disadvantaged backgrounds. The courses include photography, stained glass making, encaustic art and fine art.

The open day is crucial to the charity’s operations, with Swinton Lock Chief Executive Jayne Senior saying that current estimations show that within the next year the centre will have more than 2000 people participating in activities directly funded by the project.

Jayne Senior said: “The support given will be of great value to us moving forward. Creating new connections with sponsors and businesses in the community is vital for us to continue our work in the local area.

“Through the funds raised we hope to engage even more people with our activities, and make people feel welcome regardless of background or circumstances.

“The open day is a great opportunity for the local community to get an understanding of the work we do and what the centre offers to children and the community. Not only do we assist children back into mainstream education but we provide experiences and help develop a whole range of skills that other support systems don’t provide.”

According to the staff/volunteers the most popular activities offered are the narrow boat trips, and boat-handling courses on the South Yorkshire Navigational Canal, using the charity’s very own narrow boats.

Keith Williams, Regional Manager at UK Steel Enterprise said: “UK Steel Enterprise recognises the importance of re-engaging and inspiring youth in the local community – especially those who have fallen out of the mainstream education system due to circumstances beyond their control.

“Swinton Lock Community Centre offers great support to those who would generally receive very little or no help to feel capable and confident re-entering the education system. It is an important charity, not only to the youth, but to other disadvantaged groups to participate in activities on the same terms as anyone else.

“We’re glad to partner with Community Union to fund this event for a great charity that works to engage everyone in the community.”

Earlier this year UK Steel Enterprise launched its 40:40 challenge to mark its 40th anniversary. The challenge invites young entrepreneurs, schools, training academies and local authorities to work with students aged 18 or under to bid for a cut of the £40,000 fund.

This was posted in Bdaily's Members' News section by MK Things Happen .

Our Partners